Friday, December 18, 2009

Thursday, December 17th

As I put my days into writing it seems like everyday is so much like the last, but I know they are not. I wish their was a way to record things as they happen. There are so many cute and funny things that the kids do that are so quickly forgotten. I can't even remember what they were just yesterday.

I can see the Positive Parenting started to have an effect on Kendi. Instead of throwing fits she just threatens to throw fits. Some things that she has said are, "If you don't let me, I will run away," and "If I can't then I'll be mad." I just ignore these statments just I like I would a real fit and she doesn't really do it. I think she's realized that her fits don't gain any attention anymore, but she doesn't know how to get her way yet. I know that she starts to act up more if I'm not giving her adequate attention for behaving well. Its hard to get over the mentality of igoring your kids when they are good in fear of disrupting their good mood by talking to them. This book has also made me realize that most negative behavior, even from adults, is for attention and no other payoff. There is definetly a more positive atmosphere in our home lately and I didn't even think it was that bad before. I love it.

Aydri is starting to stand by herself. Just a few days ago she wasn't even pulling herself up at all. And then when she started she was really wobbly. I realize that I need to take pictures when she first starts doing something new because by the time I get the camera out she mastered it and is on to something else. I thought my Christmas decorations would be safe through Christmas, but this morning she was getting anything within sight. I hope she doesn't start climbing the tree. I'm thinking about putting it on top of the table. I'm glad I have one of those really high ones.

After Jared came home for lunch, I had him drop us off at my parents while he went to work with Dave. I worked on tags for our Christmas gifts. Jared came home late because they had gotten really excited about something new they want to create. We've been talking to Dave and his family about home schooling. I'd like to get started with Kendi. Right now she is learning to read with Hooked on Phonics and a lot of help from me. Its fun to watch her learn.

After Jared got done with Dave, we left Aydri with my parents so we visit some friends. We went home first and ate dinner and made some more snowy popcorn. The Schaffers had invited us over for Christmas treats and boy did they have a lot of treats. It was fun. Kendi watched something about Casper Christmas while we talked about food, family, politics and gospel. We really enjoyed our time at their home and look forward to spending more time with them. Brother Schaffer is in the High Priest Group Leadership with Jared so they are good friends. His wife is the sweetest lady you'll ever meet.

We left there to go get Aydri. Chad was still at my parents house so we stayed to play a game of cards. We played Mormon Bridge. Jared and I kept switching off with the lead score. Jared and I never win so this was fun and we teased each other the whole time. Kendi even played with Grandma's help. Grandpa took the game way too seriously as usual. Cari was tired and just played probably more for us. Kendi got bored and didn't finish with us, but she thought she was the winner anyway. Aydri was so tired by the time we were done that I actually rocked her to sleep in my arms. That doesn't happen very often.

We borrowed Its a Wonderful Life and went home. When I got there I was putting away the popcorn we had made and realized that the popcorn we had already put into cans tasted like spray paint. I used some can that had blue lids so I painted them silver and put a bow on top to make look like presents. We had to call the Schaffers and tell them not to eat the popcorn. I was livid. I have sleep issue to begin with and being mad doesn't help so I had Jared bring the laptop in the bedroom so I could fall asleep watching Its a Wonderful Life. That was a great idea. Love that movie.

No comments: